IMPORTANCE OF ANTIOXIDANTS
FRUITS & VEGGIES:
WHY MORE MATTERS
Replace bad fats (trans-fats/hydrogenated oils/ unhealthy saturated fats) with good, essential fats (unsaturated fats/high in Omega 3's).
- Avacadoes and olives
- Coconut oil/coconut milk/coconut milk yogurt
- Seaweed, spirulina, and wakame
- Seeds (chia, flax, hemp, pumpkin, sunflower, sesame)
- Nuts and nutbutters (walnuts, almonds, cashews, hazelnuts)
- Oils (not heated) (Krill, avocado, mustard, walnut)
- Dark, green leafy vegetables (broccoli, spinach, kale, chard, collards)
- Beans (mungo beans, French beans, navy beans)
- Fresh, wild-caught fish (please choose smaller fish low in mercury)
FOR FACULTY, STUDENTS &
(OUR SEAL OF APPROVAL)
FRUITS & VEGGIES
WHY MORE MATTERS
Replace sugary drinks (juice, soda. alcohol) with WATER
- Make water (preferably filtered) your first choice beverage.
- Drink ½ body weight in ounces every day
- Take a water bottle with you everywhere you go.
- Make other drinks a once-in-a-while treat rather than a daily beverage
Benefits of Drinking Water:
* Increases Energy/Relieves Fatigue * Improves Mood
* Aids Weight Loss * Flushes Out Toxins
* Improves Skin Complexion * Helps with Digestion
* Maintains Regularity * Boosts Immune System
* Helps Prevent and Treat Headaches * Prevents Cramps & Sprains
Replace caffeinated beverages with GREEN TEA
* Loaded with Antioxidants * Kills Bacteria and Inhibits Viruses
* Increases Fat Burning/Boosts Metabolic Rate * Improves Brain Function
* Improves Insulin Sensitivity/Reduce Blood Sugar Levels * Lowers LDL Cholesterol
SODA: LIQUID CANDY & CHEMICALS
Healthy Fats are important because they:
* Improve immune system * Reduce risk of disease * Maintain healthy skin
* Increase energy levels * Reduce migraines * Reduce constipation
* Satisfy the appetite, aiding in weight loss
PROGRAMS FOR HEALTHCARE
HEALTHIER FOOD SUBSTITUTES
LINK BETWEEN NUTRITION & DISEASE
YOU HAVE REACHED YOUR DESTINATION: CONTACT US
The bioavailability of calcium from vegetables is HIGHER.
(Remember only 32% of the calcium in milk is bioavailable as compared to:
- Brussel sprouts (64%)
- Mustard greens (58%)
- Broccoli (53%)
- Bok choy (52%)
- Kale (50%)
Replace red meat with poultry, fish, and vegetarian dishes high in protein.
If you want a healthier meat alternative to red meat, choose leaner meats such as turkey, chicken,
or Cornish hens.
Replace meat with fresh, wild-caught fish (Alaskan salmon, Pacific Canada and US sardines)
Replace with quinoa or legumes dishes (kidney & pinto beans, lentils, chick peas, vegetarian chili)
BIBLICAL NUTRITION PROGRAM FOR CHURCHES
SUGAR IS NOT SO SWEET!
LINK BETWEEN NUTRITION
Replace packaged/canned/boxed with
organic versions (at the very least) or whole foods (better).
* Fruits * Vegetables * Whole grains (gluten-free) * Sprouts
* Legumes (beans, peas, lentils) * Raw nuts/seeds and nut/seed butters
IMPORTANCE OF ANTIOXIDANTS
Replace white flour/pasta/rice/breads with gluten-free flour/rice/
- Ancient grains such as amaranth, quinoa, and millet are gluten-free
- Pasta made from gluten-free bean flour or gluten-free brown rice flour
- Gluten free oats
- Sorghum flour, almond flour, and coconut flour are great gluten-free flours for baking
CHILDREN ARE NOT HEALTHY
STANDARD AMERICAN DIET (S.A.D.)
Replace dairy cow products with plant-based milk alternatives
- Plant based milk (Almond milk, cashew milk, coconut milk, rice milk, oat milk)
- Coconut milk yogurt
- Coconut milk, cashew milk, and almond milk ice cream substitute
- Plant based cheese substitutes
- Goat products (yogurt, cheese, milk)
- Digests in 20 min. (vs. 6-8 hours)
- Better protein, live enzymes, and less allergies/mucus
Worried about not getting enough calcium?
1 cup of milk = 296 mg. of calcium….of which only 32% of the calcium in milk is bioavailable
- ¼ cup of sesame seeds = 351 mg. of calcium
- 1 cup boiled spinach = 245 mg. of calcium
- 1 cup boiled collard greens = 266 mg. calcium
Replace white processed sugar and artificial sweeteners with natural sweeteners:
- Sucanat (sugar in its most natural form)
- Raw Stevia Leaf or Powder (NOT to be confused with processed Truvia and white processed
Stevia is low glycemic herb, rich in nutrients that actually lower your blood sugar, rich in
chlorophyll, has no carbs or calories, and actually provide some health benefits.
- Brown rice syrup: contains no fructose
- Raw, organic, local honey or Manuka honey (NOT commercial honey) in small quantities is a
- Lo Han (monk fruit): Used in China for centuries to treat obesity and diabetes, is rich in
antioxidants, low glycemic, and has no calories.
- Pure maple syrup: Usually comprised of approx. 70% sucrose, with a low fructose level.
Also contain antioxidants.
- Barley malt syrup: A natural product that contains some minerals and vitamins and no
chemicals, as well as a lower glycemic index than sugar.
AMERICANS ARE NOT HEALTHY
FATS: THE GOOD THE BAD,
& THE UGLY
Consume LOTS of
RAW FRUITS & VEGGIES
Raw produce is loaded with anti-oxidants, fiber, live enzymes, phytonutrients/vitamins/minerals
Latest recommendations: Eat 7-13 servings per day to reduce the risk of degenerative disease.
Click below to see why:
- Replace table salt with Himalayan crystal salt or sea salt
Himalayan pink crystal salt is far superior to traditional iodized salt.
* Contains the same 84 natural minerals and elements found in the human body
* Not exposed to toxins and impurities since it has been maturing over thousands of years under
intense tectonic pressure
* Its minerals are tiny enough for our cells to easily absorb because they exist in a colloidal
* Can assist in many bodily functions (such as reducing muscle cramps, promoting blood sugar
health and promoting healthy pH in your cells)
Sea salt is also a better choice over regular table salt.
- Contains about 80 mineral elements that the body needs
- Has nutrients and minerals that help your body preserve the blood cells
Other alternatives to table salt are Kosher salt, kelp, or dulse/dulce
MAKING POSITIVE CHANGES
& DETOX PROGRAM
FOODS TO AVOID
A STAPLE IN THE S.A.D.
There are healthier substitutes for unhealthier choices. We would be happy to furnish a more detailed list at your request. E-mail us at: Michelle@TheHighway2Health.com Be sure to select “Healthy Food Alternatives” in the subject bar for your free list.